Injuries are a part of sports. The way we use and move our bodies during many physical activities makes them vulnerable to a wide range of bone, joint, and muscle mishaps. While almost all sports can lead to injury, the nature of some sports and athletic activities makes them more likely to cause injury than others.
Top 15 Sports that Caused the Most Injuries
The National Safety Council compiled statistics for the many ways Americans injured themselves playing sports and other recreational activities during 2020. Here are the top 15 sports that caused the most injuries that year for amateurs and professionals alike:
- Bicycling: 425,910 injuries
- Using exercise equipment: 377,939 injuries
- Skateboards, scooters, hoverboards: 217,646 injuries
- Basketball: 214,847 injuries
- Swimming: 129,708 injuries
- Football: 122,181 injuries
- Playground equipment: 120,829 injuries
- Trampolines: 106,358 injuries
- Soccer: 81,452 injuries
- Baseball and softball: 70,209 injuries
- Fishing: 65,107 injuries
- Skating (excl. In-line): 51,331 injuries
- Horseback riding: 44,012 injuries
- Lacrosse, rugby, misc. ball games: 29,134 injuries
- Volleyball: 23,597 injuries
Schedule an Appointment at OrthoMiami Today to Learn More About How Sports Medicine Can Help You Stay in the Game.
At OrthoMiami, we work with athletes and sports-minded patients every day. We know how badly they want to get back to the activities they love after they’ve suffered an injury. That is why we are committed to using the most advanced and effective methods to relieve pain and restore mobility to patients as quickly as possible. The OrthoMiami team always welcomes new patients and can generally schedule new patient appointments within a couple of days. Please contact us today at 786-746-8060 to schedule your appointment. We look forward to meeting you.